Fruit Salad Pikelets
I also like to call these ‘More is More Pikelets’ after a guy I once worked with who used to say If less is more, think how much more more would be. My husband and I have made our own shorthand version of this saying which is simply More is More. I am always having to restrain myself when I make these as the temptation to put more good stuff in is just so great. There are so many different types of fibre and vitamins and minerals in these that they make a great start to the day.
Ingredients for approx 12 Pikelets
½ cup oats (processed to a flour)
½ cup high-fibre self-raising flour
1 tbsp LSA (linseed, sunflower, almonds)
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large or 3 small eggs
1 medium apple of choice (coarsely grated)
2 small bananas (mashed)
1/3 cup milk of choice
Ingredients for fruit sauce
2 cups of frozen berries (I used blueberries and raspberries)
1 cup frozen mango cubes
Ingredients to top
Toasted nuts and seeds (I used walnuts and pumpkin seeds)
– place sauce ingredients in a small saucepan with a tbsp of water and set on a low heat to simmer away and thicken while you prepare the pikelets. Some people might like to add a little jam or honey at this point for extra sweetness, but I find the addition of mango makes the sauce more than sweet enough for me.
– to make pikelets add all the dry ingredients to a food processor and pulse to mix.
– add wet ingredients and pulse again until a batter forms
– fry pikelets on non-stick frying pan with a splash or light-flavoured olive oil or canola oil
– Serve with fruit sauce, yoghurt and seeds and nuts