Chocolate Chickpea Mini-Muffins (with Banana and Orange variations)
I have to thank Katarina Anne over at her wonderful blog, Feed Me Full, for the genius idea of using a can of chickpeas as a flour substitute. Check out her post for the original recipe and some other variations. I have altered the recipe a little from hers (I think her eggs must have been smaller than mine. I found I only needed 3 not 4). And I have made mini-muffins rather than cupcakes. I’ve also added a choc-orange and choc-banana variation.
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (I used oat milk)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons of oil of choice (I used olive oil)
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- ½ cup caster sugar
Choc-Banana- substitute mashed banana (about 1) for milk
Choc-Orange- substitute orange juice for milk and also add zest of whole orange
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease mini-muffin tray (be particularly careful about greasing the tray well for the choc-orange muffins. I found them a little harder to remove from the tray intact).
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Blend in food processor with milk/orange/banana until smooth.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending after each addition.
- Add oil, cocoa, baking powder and sugar and blend until smooth.
- Pour or spoon the very wet batter into mini-muffin wells until almost full.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm to touch on top.
- Allow muffins to sit for 10 mins before turning them out onto a rack to cool.