Nutty Chocolate Slice
I gave my son the responsibility of naming this creation and he came up with ‘Nutty Chocolatey Crumbly Chocolate Slice’ so I shortened it to Nutty Chocolate Slice. While this is full of good things like nuts, oats, flax seeds and dark chocolate it is quite high in kilojoules stick to one or two pieces a day if you are trying to lose or maintain weight.
140g almond meal
140g oats (processed into a flour)
40g flax seeds (processed with oats to break some of them up)
90g brown sugar
200g coconut oil (melted)
300g good quality dark chocolate (chopped into small pieces)
100g walnuts (roasted and unsalted)
100g cashew nuts (roasted and unsalted)
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line a baking tray with foil (approx 35cm x 23cm and 3cm deep).
- Mix together base ingredients and then press into baking tray.
- Bake for about 15mins until it is golden brown. This is all the cooking the base will get so make sure it is cooked to your satisfaction during this step.
- Remove base from oven.
- Scatter the chocolate as evenly as possible over the base.
- Return to the oven for 1 minute to melt the chocolate.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the base with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the nuts over the top and then press them in gently to make sure they are embedded in the chocolate.
- Leave to cool at room temperature for about an hour.
- After an hour, put tray into fridge to continue cooling. I find it needs a good 2 or 3 hours in the fridge or the base will be a bit too crumbly.
- Remove from tray (still on foil) and cut into pieces. You will find it impossible to cut it neatly as it tends to crack all over the place so just go with the messy look.
Store in the fridge in order to keep the base as firm as possible.